Sunday, September 21, 2008

Build It Green

On Saturday September 20, the City of Portland's Office of Sustainable Development sponsored a the Build It Green home tour. My house, at 5135 NE 42nd Street, along with 18 others were included as examples of sustainable development. I estimate that well over 500 people came through my home on the tour. Portland is an amazing place. It's filled with creative, forward thinking people that spend their time being involved in bettering our world. I'd like to thank several people for their help.

Bill Fritz of Intelligent Design for providing all the home furnishings that made our house the most stylish stop on the tour.

Fredrick Zal of Zal Architecture helped me greet our visitors and explain the potential of our vision of creative reuse.

Valerie Garrett from the City of Portland who organized the Build It Green tour.

I hope that those of you that visited my home were inspired that even off beat projects like mine can be built in a city that prides itself on its commitment to the future. I'm proud of my fellow citizens for coming by to see what we accomplished. And I look forward to hearing from those of you that want to start projects of your own like this. Whether you just need a little advise or you need someone with the skills and experience to build for you I'll be available to help.


I'm proud to call Portland home.

Chris Radcliffe
thechrisradcliffe@gmail.com

2 comments:

dwilliams said...

visiting your home was such an inspiration. My friend and I are most definantely looking into building our next dwellings from containers. Do you have any examples of containers used in communal living type situation? How high can we stack these containers in the Portland city limits? Once we aquire some land we will seek you advice and counsel.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I would like to do the same in Portland stacking two 40' HC containers. I'm real concerned about insulation. I looked at Oregons new 2008 energy code and they want R-30 in the floors and R-38 in the ceilings! I'm not sure I can cram that much in and still have room to move. I was looking at the R-20 ceramic paint, but the R-value and the tests/testers seem suspicious at best and I doubt it meets code. I was really hoping to not have to fur out the walls and ceilings(rather use an inch or two of rigid insulation stuck right to the steel) and loose space. I guess with a HC container I could get enough in the ceilings and floors, but I still need to get R-21 in the walls. Insulate outside to save interior space? Any suggestions? How did you meet Oregons energy code? Thanks, Tom