Saturday, September 13, 2008


(Question)

Hey,
I saw you posts on Inhabit and will most definitely attend this years Build It Green tour.
I live in PDX land and was wondering a few things.
What sort of, if any, setbacks did you face to build this home in the city limits?
Did you build off site or on-site? (ie. containers electrical/plumbing/etc.)
I've been excited to see someone local explore this for a long time.

Doug

(Answer)

Its considered non standard building practice (not wood framed) so you have to conform to the standards of steel building construction. In practice this means that you have to have an engineer calculate the reinforcements that must be added whenever you pierce the walls (doors, windows and interior wall removal). The reinforcment welds must be done by a certified welder and inspected by an independent testing agency. I had the panels that I wanted removed cut and welded before I moved the containers on site. In order to meet energy code the interior was framed on site and insulated, utilities were added the normal way.


CDR

PS. Thats my dad in the photo, I still use some of his tools.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of coping those footing plans and passing them along to people who are planning on building with this type footing? I have been looking for plans that have actually been passed in other counties to see if they will pass in my county. If so my email is flipsideny@aol.com

ReinaKoepp said...

Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated. shipping container sizes